Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Fresh Ink


Well, the ink's not that fresh, I got this tattoo for my birthday (December, btw) but I didn't post it on Facebook or anything. It was enough for me just to have it and to be so in love with it.

Obviously, I feel very deeply about this phrase - it's been permanently etched into my skin and it's the title of my blog. It's even on my business cards. To me, it seems fairly self-explanatory, but I get asked "why?" a lot so I will attempt to address that here.

1 - Words Have Power: As a writer, words are what shape my experience. They name and describe and define. Words are the foundation of my life and I'm going to use them to enhance my present and build my future. I love words, the way they look and the way they sound. I love fonts and naked paper and pens and sharp pencils and those breathless moments when I can't keep up with the words that are spilling out of me. I love curse words and sacred words and made up words and those stupid, mundane words that you inexplicably forget how to spell halfway through a sentence.

2 - Words Have Power: Words have an equal capacity to heal and to wound. As a mother, as a wife, as a human being, I need to always remember that my words are powerful and to use them wisely.

3- Words Have Power: Whatever you tell yourself everyday, whatever words you use to describe your life or yourself, that is your reality. Change those words and you will change your life. Intention is so important. "Fuck you" can be an endearment and "Hodor" can be a conversation, it all comes down to your intention.

So there you have it. Words Have Power. It's incredibly obvious and simple but I hope to live by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment