Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Day 2 - 30 Day Writing Challenge

Actually it's day 3 but I'm gonna do two today. Don't judge my failure too harshly, I already know.

Day 2 - Write something that someone told you about yourself that you never forgot.

Ok whew. There's a couple of things but I guess I'll go with a positive thing, in the interest of not being a sad sack.

In 1998 or 1999, I took a Radio/Television/Film class at ACC. We were asked to write up a snazzy idea for a new sitcom. We presented our "pitches" in class and mine went really well. The instructor told me, "Get an agent."

Of course, I handled this compliment by laughing it off.

She looked me dead in the eye and said, "I'm not kidding, get an agent. Like now."

She said it firmly, as though there was no reason at all to doubt the truth of her statement.

Sometimes it makes me sad - what if I had taken her advice instead of doubting myself? Sometimes it's the small voice encouraging me to keep going because someone saw potential in me all those years ago. Either way, it's stuck with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment