Search This Blog

Friday, April 27, 2018

Day 7 - 30 Day Writing Challenge

Day 7 - List 10 Songs that You are Loving Right Now

Oh this is a fun one. I get really obsessed with songs that I like and I just play them over and over. Right now I'm working so hard to build myself from the ground up so a few of the songs I'm listening to reflect that attempt. 

You'll notice that all the songs have well-written lyrics. I can't enjoy a song if there's something off about the words. 

These are in no particular order but I added the numbers to make sure I stayed at 10 lol. 



1. The Greatest by Sia. I feel like the Bobs from Office Space when I talk about Sia. 

Seriously, Sia is so incredibly talented. Her videos are beautiful and raw and artistic, just like her songs. She hooked me with Titanium and Chandelier and when I heard Elastic Heart it was all over. Seeing her live would be a dream come true.

2. Poison and Wine by The Civil Wars. The slow pulse of this song is hypnotic. A lot of their songs are like that; gorgeous harmony and emotional intensity. If you prefer less of a ballad, check out their song Barton Hollow.

3. The Downeaster Alexa by Billy Joel. Whaaa? I know. This song is in my head at least once a week, I love it. I have no connection to islander life or fishing but this song is so compelling. 

4. I Love It by Icona Pop (feat. Charli XCX). Do you need a song to BLAST while you drive? This is the one. It's so fun to yell the chorus. It gets me shaking that booty.

5. Thunder by Imagine Dragons. I feel like this is my anthem at this time in my life. I relate to the lyrics and this is a well-produced song. My seven year old son and his best friend are super into Imagine Dragons right now so we hear a lot of their music as a family.

6. Howling at Nothing by Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats. This song is the perfect winding down song. I love it like I love red wine and familiar faces. Honestly, I don't think this band has a bad song, they are all pure unicorn magic. You've probably heard their song S.O.B. but you should check out the rest of their music. Like, all of it. We got to see this band live at SXSW and they also put on a great show.

7. Jackie and Wilson by Hozier. Holy moly, this guy. Strong, strong lyricist and his voice is haunting. His style is reminiscent of Van Morrison. I love all of his songs and his covers are great too.

8. Thank U by Alanis Morrisette. An old song but I heard it again the other day in a store and it seems perfect for this point in my life. Being grateful is a huge part of getting the joyful life you are looking for. When you look back on your life, there maybe a lot of things that seemed awful at the time but steered you in the best direction. Growth, change, bravery, forgiveness, peace - I remember all of it when I hear this song.

9. When You're Good to Mama by Queen Latifah. This is from the Chicago soundtrack and it's been stuck in my head for a few days now. I love musicals and show tunes. Judge away, I don't care. 

10. Land Down Under by Men at Work. A little random, perhaps, but it's been stuck in my head for a couple of weeks. I find myself singing it while folding towels or scrubbing the stove. It's fun! 

You should let me know what songs you are listening to in the comments! I would love some suggestions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment